Simply Trini Cooking

menu navigation

push messages

1. Chef Tom
    July 21, 2008 • 8:48 pm

Sounds good to me! I’ve never tried any food from Trinidad before.

2. simplytrinicooking.com
    October 2, 2008 • 11:23 pm

You should try it. It’s a different world of taste.

3. Anonymous
    April 21, 2009 • 7:23 pm

My grandmother would add the chicken directly to the browned sugar and once the chicken was coated she would then tip a small amount of water into the pot and cover for it to simmer. During the chicken coating process she was constantly stiring and turning the chicken.

• Lioness
      December 12, 2012 • 2:38 pm

I also use the same method…NO OIL ;-)

4. Felix Padilla
    April 21, 2009 • 11:42 pm

That’s the way I also do it sometimes as well but it requires a little more skill than to just throw in the water to stop the caramelizing process and then add the meat. You really have to know what you’re doing :). In any case, from experience, both methods ( water before or after) realizes the same delicious stew chicken. Thanks for your comment and do stop by again.

5. Priscilla
    December 29, 2009 • 4:06 am

Despite my Trini stepmother’s mean persona, she was also a mean cook. I remember her making this when I first met her (she had met my father while she lived in Trinidad, got married, and moved to Florida.)

She usually served it with pita bread. I can’t wait to make this here in MD!! Thank you for posting. :)

6. Dora
    March 4, 2010 • 7:38 pm

how do i cook a mean stew goat? do i follow the recipe like the stewed chicken and substitute goat for chicken? or is there a technique i don’t know about?

7. Felix
    March 4, 2010 • 8:08 pm

Hi Dora,

For the goat you will have to pressure cook it first before stewing and instead of using water while stewing the goat use the stock. Now that you mentioned it I will have to do a stew goat for you to see. I already did curry goat.

8. Dora
    March 28, 2010 • 1:24 pm

thank you! :) looking forward to it.

9. kashabruce
    April 3, 2011 • 7:35 am

OMG im in love with ur site! was wondering though at what point would i have to put in potatoes if i wanted them in there and how long wud they have to cook for! im now starting this cooking this sad to say but ur site is my guide :DDD

10. Felix
    April 3, 2011 • 4:32 pm

The potato is put in last before the chicken is done. So don’t put it in too early. Also you may have to adjust your seasonings to taste since potato absorbs salt while cooking. Other than that you’re good to go :-)

11. Lindy
    April 17, 2012 • 6:08 pm

Have you all ever eaten macaroni and cheese with liver…it is divine. Would dare someone to put that recipe out there.

12. L'shanda
    October 24, 2012 • 9:27 pm

Made this today and added powder coconut milk to it.. :)

iPad Theme