Coconut Bake

My father-in-law loves coconut bake. A dry coconut around the house means that my wife must make herself available to make some coconut bake for her father. I don’t give him wrong for having such minor requests, because I don’t mind myself. It is simple to make, tastes great, and it surpasses eating those extra soft shop bread that can in no way satisfy a hard working man.

Never Refuse a Coconut Bake

So you have guessed it right, not a week passes by without a coconut bake being made, as long as there is a coconut or two hanging around. It goes great with breakfast or dinner and for those who know what I’m talking about, you know what I mean when I say, that nothing beats a hot coconut bake, straight from the oven, with butter or cheese and some hot cocoa tea to wash it all down. Mmmmm!! I have seen plain bake go to waste on the counter top but never have I seen anyone refuse a good coconut bake.

Coconut BakeCoconut Bake

Two Ways to Make Coconut Bake

I am aware of two ways to make coconut bake. The first is with the coconut milk and the second is with the grated coconut kernel.  I prefer coconut bake with the grated kernel; and what will make it extra special is hand grated coconut kernel.  The bake is more wholesome and satisfying because of the high fibre content, so you will not have to eat much of it. Coconut bake made with coconut milk only is usually lighter and reminds me of common bread with a taste of coconut in it. This type is commonly sold by bakeries. These bakeries sometimes add whole wheat flour to enhance the taste since it’s only the coconut milk being used. It tastes good, but (for me) not as good as the one with the grated coconut kernel.

Coconut Bake Recipe

In this recipe, the coconut is grated by hand.  A very fine meal enables easy kneading.The grated coconut also works as a good fibre; so enriched white flour could be used instead of whole wheat flour. Also, as in the case where the coconut milk is extracted and the grated kernel remains, you could use this to make coconut bake or even sweet bread.  However, I would add milk to this mixture (as in the case where we saved the grated kernel from the coconut oil process).

Anyway, here is my favourite, Coconut bake. Enjoy!

COCONUT BAKE

2 cups flour

¾ tsp salt

4 tsp baking powder

2 tbsp. melted butter or olive oil

¾ cup grated coconut

2 tbsp. sugar

¾cup milk

Sift flour, salt, baking powder into bowl.

In a separate bowl mix the grated coconut and sugar

then add the coconut mixture to the sifted flour

Add the milk and butter or oil.

Knead for about 5 minutes or until you get a smooth dough like in the picture.
Cover and let rise for 10 minutes.

Using a rolling pin, shape dough into a circle (3/4 -1 inch thick) and place in a greased baking tin, round or square. Prick top of the bake with fork to decorate.

Bake in a moderate oven (about 250 degrees F ) for 20 minutes or until light brown. Allow to cool.

We’ve come to the end of another delicious journey. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. In my upcoming post, look out for a simple rice recipe. Well I must go now. Bye!!  Enjoy your coconut bake.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Coconut Bake

1. Reeni August 17, 2008 at 3:04 pm #

I love coconut! This looks really yummy and quick and easy when your pressed for time but want something delicious!

2. simplytrinicooking.com August 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm #

Yes they are really delicious!

3. Everything's Herbed August 25, 2008 at 1:12 am #

Looks delicious! And so easy to make. And we have lots of coconut here….

4. god's agent February 15, 2010 at 9:35 pm #

I took the same mixture, I added raisins, walnuts, and dried cranberries, and I cut the dough in two (2) balls, and I cut each ball of dough in biscotti shape biscuits, and I baked it for 60mins. at 250 degrees, and they taste delicious.

Thanks for this recipe, and all your recipes.

I enjoy all of them!!!!

Michelle

5. Swann April 17, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

I used this recipe and it turned out to be the best coconut bake i’ve ever made, and tasted! Thank you so much!

6. Felix April 18, 2011 at 2:00 am #

Thank you Swann for that wonderful comment, do visit again.

7. sherice April 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

i am searching for a recipe to make for my mother in law after reading all these comments i am going to try this one. besides it looks absolutely scrumptious.

8. katy June 24, 2011 at 2:15 am #

I recently made coconut bake with the coconut milk and it tasted like plain bake….. I was told if I used the kernel then people would not be able to eat the bake because of the amount of kernel….. Is this true???? cause I really need to eat a good coconut bake…..

9. Felix June 24, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Hi Katy,
    Thanks for writing. I must say right off that this is definitely not true. I agree that “coconut bake” made with just coconut milk tastes like plain bake. However, if you must add the kernel, make sure it is grated finely before adding it. You’d be surprised with the rich coconut taste. This recipe is one of two versions of coconut bake on the site; the other is here: http://www.simplytrinicooking.com/2008/08/wholewheat-coconut-bake.html

If you try any, let us know how it went.

10. Aarti October 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Yummy, I tried this recipe this morning and it was an absolute hit. Thank you for unselfishly sharing your recipes.

• Felix October 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

You’re welcome Aarti. More delicious recipes to come :-)

11. Kimberly January 22, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

Loved it! I tried the recipe this afternoon added a little grated nutmeg like my granny used to do. Delicious! Thanks Felix!

12. L'shanda May 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Softest bake I have ever made… Wonderful recipe.. How I love this site.. :)