Coconut Drops

This recipe, coconut drops, was contributed by my wife, she is the baking expert in the kitchen.

This is what she has to say about her coconut drops:

The first time I tried making coconut drops was unsuccessful. The batter dropped while it was baking, I was extremely disappointed.  However, I tried again, until it came out the way I like it.I don’t like my coconut drops rock hard and too sweet with little taste of coconut in it.For those like myself, I believe you may like this recipe also.

An Original Coconut Drops Recipe

Coconut Drops

COCONUT DROPS

2 ozs. Butter
½ cups sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp. bitters
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ cup raisins
2 cups finely grated coconut

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cream the butter and sugar until smooth.

Add egg, bitters and vanilla; beat well.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.

Add coconut and raisins.

Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
Add a little bit of water if necessary to moisten the batter.

However, the batter should be firm and not soft in order to hold their shape while baking.

Grease a cookie sheet and drop spoonfuls of batter onto it.

Bake for 20-30 minutes at 250 degrees F, until the drops are firm and golden.

Coconut drops ready to eat.

NB. You may also sprinkle some sugar on them and return to oven for about 3 minutes.

Yields about 22 drops

Print this recipe

Don’t forget to leave your comments about our coconut drops recipe in the comment box below.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Coconut Drops

1. Yu November 30, 2008 at 2:33 am #

First of all, what a great blog you have! I moved to Trinidad about a month ago, and am loving the food already. Where can I buy grated coconut? I’ve been to most of the main super markets, but I only fond one from south east asia…

2. simplytrinicooking.com November 30, 2008 at 2:41 am #

welcome to Trinidad Yu. Hope you enjoy your stay. You can’t really get grated coconut to buy but on the island there are lots of coconuts. All you have to do is just get a coconut and grate it yourself.hope this helps.

3. Yu December 1, 2008 at 1:52 pm #

Oh, I see. Next time I buy a coconut water, I’ll defenetly save it and use it at home.
    Thank you!

4. fenshu January 21, 2009 at 10:00 pm #

you can’t grate a green coconut Yu, you need to go to the market and buy a dried one

5. sal April 10, 2009 at 9:16 pm #

Thank-You for this site….I could not believe it I typed in coconut drops and your site came right up….no more long distance calls for recipe :)

Trini in Miami!

6. Janice December 6, 2009 at 9:18 pm #

Hi

I have really enjoyed your recipes. Do you have one for coconut sweet bread. I would really appreciate it so that I can enjoy on Christmas morning with my ham. Many thanks

7. Felix December 7, 2009 at 3:03 am #

Thank you Janice for your comment here is the Sweet Bread recipe that I have come to enjoy.

8. dc July 24, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

Hello Felix, quick question about this please?
    “Grease a cookie sheet and drop spoonfuls of batter onto it”…Would that be a rounded teaspoonful or rounded tablespoonful? Thank you.

• Felix July 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Tablespoonfuls.

9. Amy September 25, 2013 at 9:02 am #

I’m surprised no one else realized. Perhaps they haven’t tried the recipe. Can you please tell me what temperature should these be baked on for best results?

• Felix September 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Actually, some people tried this recipe already. I just don’t know why they never asked. Anyway, 250 degrees F will do fine.

10. Lori March 19, 2014 at 8:07 am #

i made thses and it came out delicious! gonna make them again. Thank you for the recipe! :D