Simply Trini Cooking

menu navigation

push messages

1. islandgal246
    September 9, 2009 • 2:08 pm

eheh whey de banana leaf to cover de pot boy? Yuh forget? Yuh know dis is a Grenadian ting so we got to put we banana leaf on de top of de pot. LOL I have been looking for a good oil down reciupe for some time This is a keeper. Thanks.

2. IslaMargaritaRentals
    April 27, 2010 • 4:01 pm

Hi Felix. Could you explain how you prepare the coconut milk? No powder please! Here on Isla Margarita we have the american coconut which is not good for the traditional way of Asia which I learned in the Philippines, where they have the african coconut. The result of my attempts here is too waterish, very little taste. And to buy the milk in can from Thailand is pretty expensive.

@Ulrichmargarita

Ps. To the comment above: if you boil coconut milk and cover it, it cuts. The taste remains the same but it doesn’t look good.

3. Felix
    April 27, 2010 • 5:59 pm

No problem. I’ll do a post soon.

4. Katricia
    June 21, 2010 • 10:36 pm

Felix, Felix this is a winner it looks so good. I’m a porky myself but i’ll have to use fish for this receipe because my hubby does not eat pork, could u tell me which fish u used. I prefer red snapper myself but urs looks like king fish.

5. Felix
    June 21, 2010 • 11:19 pm

You’re correct. It is King Fish. In a dish like this you would want to use the larger less bonier fish like king fish,Carite, Blue Marlin etc. Thanks for the comment.

6. Erkarina
    March 7, 2011 • 2:55 am

I mention your recipe in my blog http://www.mrgiftcateringservices-trinidad.blogspot.com, in a article about breadfruit. I found that your website about Trinidadian food is the most complete ever.

7. Felix
    March 8, 2011 • 12:33 am

Thank you Erkarina. :-)

8. Wezli
    March 26, 2011 • 8:00 pm

Thanks for this tasty recipe!

9. Hannah
    January 31, 2012 • 9:48 pm

Flex, good day to you. I love oi dwn and the best I have ever haad was from a Grenadian an my first time was in Grenada from my in-laws. I love the fact that you ave pictures,ppl tend to respond better and to be moe confident in cooking when they see pictures. I atttended chef chool, but nothing beats back yuh own cooking. Your page is a keeper.
    Have a blessed day.

10. rav13
    August 10, 2012 • 3:21 pm

You should do a cookbook! I’ll do the photography for you! :p Great stuff man.

11. Sue
    October 8, 2012 • 3:12 pm

Hi Felix! Love ur website, great job! Would like to know if oil down has always been or is originally made with fish and other ppl have just included other meats? Thank’s much.

• Felix
      October 8, 2012 • 5:13 pm

Like other peasant food in our cooking, the original recipe would is lost in time since it was passed down through the generations. Because of this I would like to believe the other variations using salted meats such as saltfish, pigtail, pigsnout or salt beef would have been the choice of meats since they lasted longer without refrigeration.

12. BETTY BEDEAU
    August 20, 2013 • 3:31 pm

I THINK YOUR SITE IS AMONG THE BEST. YOUR DESCRIPTION AND INSTRUCTIONS ALONG WITH THE PICTURES IS A COMPLETE PACKAGE. NOW, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE DASHEEN LEAVES OR ROUCOU WHAT WOULD BE A SUBSTITUTE. IT’S BEEN QUITE A WHILE SINCE I HAVE HAD THIS MEAL AND WOULD LIKE TO TRY MY HAND AT IT. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

• Felix
      August 20, 2013 • 5:26 pm

You can omit those if you can’t get it. It would not affect the taste that much. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

iPad Theme