Simply Trini Cooking

menu navigation

push messages

1. Roderick
    January 7, 2009 • 10:54 am

Can you stew cow heel … similar to stew ox-tail? I love cow heel soup … I also love stew ox-tail … so I was wondering about stew cow heel.

2. simplytrinicooking.com
    January 7, 2009 • 2:59 pm

Well Roderick, we don’t really stew cow heel in Trinidad and Tobago. You see cow heel is so gelatinous, that by the time you pressure cook it and start to stew it down it would be just one big mess. That is why we prefer to use it in a soup instead.

3. Julliana
    January 23, 2009 • 5:37 pm

The “Cow Heel Soup” is the true “Trini” recipe. That’s about as authentic a recipe as you can get.I know I’m a true “Trini” and I cook cow heel soup almost every saturday.

4. simplytrinicooking.com
    January 23, 2009 • 5:54 pm

Thank you Julliana for your comment. It doesn’t get any better than this!

5. Anonymous
    March 3, 2009 • 2:47 am

I stumbled on your site thankfully:) am always saying Trinis can cook and your recipes are quite similar to Grenadian I tried your yam chips simply delicious
    continue sharing
    appreciative Grenadian

6. Raz4125
    March 3, 2009 • 11:21 am

Thank you for your comment. Much appreciated!

7. fnj79
    November 11, 2009 • 6:54 pm

I am so glad to see this recipe…when I pregnant with my daughter, I use to eat Cow heel soup at least 3 times a week…it was what my daughter was craving! this recipe is a good one!!

8. Felix
    November 11, 2009 • 9:15 pm

Thank you for your wonderful comment. :-)

9. WizzyTheStick
    May 8, 2010 • 4:12 am

I just saw this pic on a facebook app!

10. Cassiw
    April 21, 2013 • 7:47 pm

When it says one pack of chicken noodle soup do you have a particular brand that works best? Do you mean a can of Campbell’s chicken noodle soup for example? or is it talking about another type of pack soup?

• Felix
      April 21, 2013 • 8:18 pm

In Trinidad and Tobago we are referring to the Maggi Brand of chicken noodle soup or any equivalent.

11. Henry
    July 1, 2014 • 12:07 am

I know this is an archived old post, but it’s new to me having just found it. And so glad as well for this one. I remember this as a kid in St.Kitts, it was soup heaven. I can only imagine it’s similar unless I pick up phone to call home and check living in the U.S. But I’m just going to figure from now on anything I make will be a fusion blend of my local Kittitian and Trini recipe mix. Not sure what to call that but Caribbean will simply do lol. I have some Cow Foot in freezer about a month not at least, will try this on the weekend as have more time and one way to use the Pressure Cooker I bought some time ago yet unused.

This recipe for some reason made me also think of Beef Shank I think it’s called I often see in some my grocery store here. Gelatinous in center, yet meaty around the bone. Kinda wonder how you would cook that if you Braise Stew it or Soup it as well like this?

• Felix
      July 1, 2014 • 10:07 am

the beef shank you’re talking about reminds me of Ox tails. Maybe it’s a different name lol. Thanks for commenting and continue to dig around my archives with glee. :)

iPad Theme