The Original: Brown Sugar Fudge

Have you ever had brown sugar fudge?  I grew up eating mostly homemade sweets and candies. My mother would spend hours in the kitchen cooking, preparing these delicious sweets and candies that I love, such as: tambran (tamarind) ball, (coconut) sugar cake, nut cake, paw paw ball, toolum, fudge, chilli bibi, and bene ball. I remember well for harvest day, back in the day, these were the only sort of candies you would be able to buy from the sweets stall, not the commercial stuff we see today.

Reminisce With This Brown Sugar Fudge

Just in case you were wondering about my dental health, back then, strange as it may seem, I didn’t suffer from any dental caries. But now the stuff children are fed has so much artificial flavouring, it’s like eating a piece of “toothache waiting to happen”.  All the local sweets and candies are still popular today, some more than others, but they’re still around and loved by many (including me). So when you want to reminisce on your younger days next time, have a piece of fudge.  All you need is one taste to take you back to when granny used to make.

Brown Sugar Fudge Recipe

Brown Sugar Fudge

BROWN SUGAR FUDGE

1 cup brown sugar
1 tin condensed milk
¼ lb. (½ cup) butter

Butter a dish and put aside.

Put butter in a saucepan or pot over medium fire to melt.

When the butter has melted place sugar and milk and stir gently and constantly until mixture becomes golden brown, leaves the side of the saucepan and thickens.

Test the candy (the heat should be lowered slowly while you test the candy).

To test the candy, drop a ½ tsp of it into some water. If the tested piece forms into a firm ball remove the sauce pan from heat and immediately pour into the buttered dish.

(this test ball must be at the right consistency; too soft and your fudge may come out like toffee, too hard : your fudge may be firm and brittle.)

Shake the dish to make sure the mixture levels out.

Allow the mixture to set for about five minutes.
Mark into squares and allow the candy to cool.
Makes about twenty squares.

Brown Sugar Fudge, simplytrinicooking.com

Enjoy and please brush your teeth when you’re finished!

Print this brown sugar fudge recipe

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I saw this here last week and made it today. Something my mother made when I was a kid and I had forgotten all about it.
    My kids love it too.

2. Anonymous says

Just made this! It was great! It was my first attempt at making fudge and it worked! Thanks!

3. says

This is what Guyanese call ‘peera'; mine always comes out perfect, but it’s so simple to make anyway. And I always add vanilla and sometimes I embellish it with flaked almonds. But of course, it’s perfect on its own. Bye!

4. says

I tried this recipe and failed. I used most of it doing the water test. The remaining mixture turned out like toffee. You were absolutely right to warn about the toffee error. I will try it again this weekend and hopefully mine will look as wonderful as the pic above. Can you tell me how long to stir the mixture on average. That way I may avoid making another batch of toffee.

5. Sarah says

Hey I tried this and failed. Yours looks like the fudge I remember eating back home. I need some help figuring out what went wrong. I followed the recipe exactly. The only thing I can think of is that I used dark brown cane sugar by domino instead of the regular Demerara brown sugar. Could that be the mistake I made. It came out looking gritty and clumpy instead of smooth. Also while bowling the mix I noticed that the oil from the melted butter was separating from everything else. Can you please help? I would love to make this for my kids.

• says

It’s simple Sarah you took too long, so the fudge got hard. You have to use the “ball test” I described and then quickly place the fudge in the dish to cool. It takes practice to do it so don’t despair you’ll get it. Keep on trying. :)

• Sarah says

Ok I tried it again and this time the ball test came out fine just as is shown above. Then I quickly poured it into the pan as you stated. However, the fudge didn’t set at all. It remained sticky like toffee. This is after I did the ball test and I used a candy thermometer to be on the safe side. Is there an additional step that I”m missing in the end? When I check other websites they state to beat the fudge until it thickens like peanut butter and some of the gloss is gone. Well I had a glossy top and the fudge consistency was like toffee so I’m guessing that maybe I need to beat the fudge after removing it from the stove before placing it in a dish to set. Will that help?

• says

If it is sticky like toffee that means that you took it out before time. No need to beat until it thickens and all of that…Just continue practicing and you will get it eventually. As I said before this is one recipe you will have to practice before you get it right. Next time you’re doing the “ball test” make sure it is firm; not too soft like toffee but not too hard till it gets brittle. Good luck you’re nearly there :)

• says

I have no idea of the time since it was not recorded. Just follow the instructions like many others have done and have been successful.